From light to dark green, thin and bumpy skin is how we know a cucumber. It is roughly cylindrical, but elongated with tapered ends. And so just read all the way down to discover that it is much enjoyable to eat cucumber knowing how it will benefit you.
It is a fruit and much like a tomato and squash, they are often prepared and eaten as a vegetable. Cucumbers are very refreshing and easy to eat especially during hot seasons. Can be eaten with or without the skin and simply on their own.
There are a lot of reasons why we need cucumbers. Here are some of it:
- So much nutrients in it. They are really low in calories but significantly high in many important vitamins and minerals.
- Includes Antioxidants. These beneficial antioxidants help reduce the risk of cancer and heart, lung and autoimmune disease.
- Boosts Hydration. It has high water content of about 96% which will help you meet your daily fuel needs.
- Helps in weight loss. Since it has low calorie content, it is one of the best toppings to add to your salads, sandwiches or side dishes.
- Reduces blood sugar levels. Research results states that cucumbers may help prevent some complications of diabetes.
- Helps support regular bowel movements. It is because of the good amount of fiber and water that aids in prevention of constipation and increase regularity.
- For bone health. It has Vitamin K which is associated with healthy bones that are less likely to fracture.
- Good for your skin. It has anti-inflammatory benefits.
Buying and Storing Tips
If you’re not confident enough in choosing fresh cucumbers in the market, here are some simple suggestions you can use:
- Choose those that have bright and even colour of skin without dullness or sweating.
- Test the firmness of the cucumber.
- Avoid those with blemishes, soft spots, yellowing or easily bent.
- There are cucumbers that are treated with a wax coating after being picked. Don’t wash before storing, but only wash thoroughly or peel before consuming.
- It can last in a refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Wrap it in a plastic wrap to slow the process of decay.
These things are more than enough reason for you to choose cucumber as part of your healthy snack. And I am hopeful that these helps you decide now to start working on the healthy you. Because the healthier you is definitely the happier you.